Friday, January 22, 2010

Why does my male rabbit drink more water?

when I go outside.... my female rabbits have more water ( they are all in different cages ) and my male rabbit has not a drop of water in his bottle... plz anwser asap :D thxWhy does my male rabbit drink more water?
If you are sure your water bottle is working properly, that is not leaking, I'd say your buck has a thing for rubbing his chin on his bottle. Rabbits have a scent gland there, and males tend to mark their territory more than females do. I have 61 rabbits, and by and large the males go through a lot more water than the females. I have watched the males rub their chins against their feeders, their water bottles, whatever they can reach. It is pretty harmless. The only time I see females go through more water is when they have a litter, then the does double even what the bucks drink and waste. She is drinking more to produce milk. Also I have noticed does in heat will drink very little water during the time they are most ready to be bred, sometimes they'll only eat a few bites of food too. A rabbit in a molt will drink less sometimes too. Just a few of the things I've noticed about rabbits over the years,Why does my male rabbit drink more water?
Are you sure he isn't spilling it ? mine would get into the water and splash it out
robert f may b right my hamster snifes the bottle and water covers him cuz it dripes all over (stupid moomoo)
this might sound strange but take him to the vet because this is a symptom of diabetes and if it goes undiagnosed he may die
My male rabbit is exactly the same-I've changed water bottles so it isn't that and his diet is the same as my female. I have noticed he is more active than the female so I'm assuming it's partly because of that and the fact that all rabbits are different. He's been checked by the vet and there's nothing wrong with him but sometimes it can be a sign of diabetes so you might want to get him checked out to be sure.
Have you tested his water bottle lately for leaks? How often are you changing his water? Water is extremely important to rabbits, while some may drink more than others, they NEED to have it at all times, so if your male is drinking all of the water he is offered, you're going to have to give him water more often. He should never have an empty bottle.





What is his diet like? Where is he housed? It's not necessarily that he is drinking more because he's male. It might be that he is in a warmer area than the females, that he is more active than they are, that he's eating more than they are.





It could be a medical problem as well. Not saying that it is, but keep an eye on him for any strange changes or behaviours. If he has started drinking more water for absolutely no reason rather recently, it might be something you want to watch for.
well i used to hav a male rabbit (but he died)


and mine drank a lot of water 2 so maybe male rabbits drink more than female rabbits :D
there's no need to take him to the vet


because mine does the exactly the same as yours


but i don't know why but there's nothing wrong with it





hope this helps
It could be that you're not putting the cap on tightly enough? That sometimes happens with my rabbits' water bottles. Then the water leaks out.


Males and females don't drink more just because of their genders.....


He could just be a thirsty guy.


But yes, it could also be medical related.


Rabbits can get diabetes - I know that a human symptom of diabetes is excessive amounts of water drinking; not sure if that's the same with rabbits.


Maybe fill up his bottle when you feed/water next, and watch if he goes right to the water and drinks?

No comments:

Post a Comment