Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I caught my rabbit eating the sawdust in his bedding the other day, is this okay?

He just took a big mouthful, ate it and carried on as normal. I've never noticed him doing it before but he's usually only in his bed when we are in bed so he could be doing it all the time whilst we're asleep. He seems fine and is his usual bunny self but just wondered if this will harm him? ThanksI caught my rabbit eating the sawdust in his bedding the other day, is this okay?
i wouldnt worry my hamster used 2 eat EVERYTHING it never harmed him so rabbit = 90% sure its OkI caught my rabbit eating the sawdust in his bedding the other day, is this okay?
Actual sawdust? This probably isn't good for his respiratory system or his diet. I use aspen shaving for my rabbits, which is quite safe and inexpensive, and they like to nibble them a bit. No big deal at all. I highly recommend aspen. Pine and cedar are also inexpensive, but they are very harmful for rabbits and many other animals despite what the packaging says. There are lots of other types of bedding and litters, but they are too expensive for me and my household. Go for the cheap, safe aspen shavings, and enjoy your little bunny! :)
sawdust? Ive heard dust can mess up their liver and lungs, so I guess sawdust would do the same. Go check it out with a vet, thats my advice! Rabbits get sick and within 24 hours they could die, so I would suggest asking your vet!
First, be sure you are not using a cedar sawdust. This is very dangerous for rabbits to USE, nevermind eat. It contains a chemical which causes liver damage in rabbits.





Its probably not good for him if he's doing it a lot. It may expand in his gut and cause a lethal blockage.


What are you feeding him? Does he get unlimited timothy hay? This is a very important part of a rabbit's diet, as they require the long fibers for proper digestion. If he isn't getting enough hay in his diet, this could be why he is eating the sawdust.





Furthermore, I would recommend switching to a different litter. The best litters for rabbits are paper based litters like CareFresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment