Sunday, January 24, 2010

I want to help a local rabbit rescue group in my area.I live in northern Virginia.?

I want to help out in an animal shelter where I live and I love rabbits. Does anyone know anywhere I could help out at? I'm almost ten.I want to help a local rabbit rescue group in my area.I live in northern Virginia.?
Hello, loving rabbits is a good start, but knowing more than the average person is an easy way to make yourself useful, too....here is a good site, and you can learn stuff and help just by spreading good information; so many people do not know a thing about rabbits-for instance, in these question and answer pages, I keep hearing people referring to rabbits as rodents, they are of course, not rodents. Anyway, at your young age, maybe the best place to start is to be smartest one around, and have facts to back you up!


Look in here:


http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/r鈥?/a>I want to help a local rabbit rescue group in my area.I live in northern Virginia.?
Offer to clean! Every animal shelter wants somebody to clean. Nobody really want's to do all the dirty mucking out jobs, but if you do it, and work hard at it, they will see you really do love animals and will let you help out with other stuff too.





Try and get your Mum or Dad invlved too, because most animal shelters legally can't have people under 16 working there unless with a parent.





Good luck!





:-)
I think it's really great that you're interested in volunteering, but unfortunately, you are much to young to volunteer in any animal shelter by yourself. Many places don't allow anyone under 18, though some allow 14 year olds and up. Some might allow you to volunteer if a parent accompanies you, but this is a question you will have to ask them in person or over the phone.





Here are some places you should look at:





Animal Welfare League of Arlington (I volunteer here): http://www.awla.org/index.shtml


Animal Welfare League of Alexandria: http://www.alexandriaanimals.org/%7Eawla鈥?/a>


Fairfax County Animal Shelter (serves Fairfax City and Falls Church as well): http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/anim鈥?/a>





If your parents are willing, you might be able to be a rabbit foster home. There are always a lot more rabbits coming into shelters than there are going out, so many shelters use foster homes as a way of procuring extra space. I know Arlington does this, but I imagine most other animal shelters do this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment