Friday, January 22, 2010

I have had my rabbit castrated but he is still humping. Is the normal?

I have had my rabbit castrated about 2 or 3 weeks ago but he is still humping my other rabbit. My other rabbit is also male and he is about 4 months. I have them in seperate cages but i try putting them together now and again to see if they get along yet. I just wondered when he will stop humping. And when will the younger rabbit start humping as well. Thanks in advanceI have had my rabbit castrated but he is still humping. Is the normal?
Well it depends on a lot of things like hormones, but it depends on the bunny whether he will stop it or not.


My rabbit Thumper (the humper, as we used to call him) would hump anything, even years after we had him snipped! In fact, he had a deep, meaningful relationship with a pair of pink, fluffy slippers that I used to have. After he lost his balls, he did settle a bit. He was less agro and much more affectionate (he used to follow people around, jump onto the couch and lie across your lap while you watched tv, give you eskimo kisses when you made kissing noises) ...just sometimes he felt the urge =P


Usually, once the rabbit goes into heat the first time, the humping will start. If you get your bunny snipped before this time, you will probably avoid the humping.


Good Luck =PI have had my rabbit castrated but he is still humping. Is the normal?
Yes, it is normal. Testosterone levels do not drop off for a few weeks after being altered. Plus, he is probably picking up on the scent of testosterone off of your other Buck and is showing dominance towards the Buck that is not altered.





You run the risk of the Buck that is not altered fighting with the altered Buck. So at this time, it is NOT a good idea to keep the Bucks together. Bucks reach sexual maturity between the ages of 3-4 months of age. And, Bucks will fight to the death once they reach sexual maturity because of territorial behavior.
my 2 rabbits were like that and in the end we put them in separate cages and when ever we put them together they go mad and start biting each other. One rabbit has teeth and the other doesn't so it is quite dangerous putting them together.





Before my rabbit got newtered when we let him out i had to run away because it would chase me trying to bite me lol. It really hurts whne they bit.





They will hump for about 4 weeks then they will stop. I had the same problam as you.





Hope this helped :)





good luck ! ! !
You should get the younger one neutered asap because he can start as early as 6 months. Once they start they normally don't stop since they've had the hormone surge and it can also be a dominance thing especially with two males.
It takes about 6 weeks for the hormones to subside. You should be able to get your younger rabbit castrated soon too, which will make life easier when putting them back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment