Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do i get my miniature daschund (bred to hunt rabbits) to ignore my new baby rabbit?

she keeps trying to eat him. chasing, biting, chewing, jumping, etc.


psycho dog.How do i get my miniature daschund (bred to hunt rabbits) to ignore my new baby rabbit?
I have a Shepard-Coyote mix and she loves to chase cats...my fiance and I decided to get two kittens and I went out to grab something to bring back for dinner and when I was gone she nabbed onto my kitten and had her in her mouth, luckily my fiance was home to stop it, but it took awhile before she realized that she was not food but another member of the family. We just kept her on a leash tied to our table leg until she got used to the cats roaming around the house, then little by little she was allowed to interact with the cats. But she was watched like a hawk, if she did something we thought was inappropriate we would call her name in a very stern voice, and when she did something we liked (ie licking the cats, letting them rub up against her, or even let them lay and cuddle next to her) we praised her A LOT! Pets, hugs, kisses, belly rubs,treats whatever she liked until she got the idea that nipping was bad and cuddling was much more rewarding.





It'll take time, but don't get discouraged. Start out with little steps, such as letting them be close together via cage separating them, then go from there.How do i get my miniature daschund (bred to hunt rabbits) to ignore my new baby rabbit?
Firstly please never and I mean never put your bunny in a situation where it is terrified. I would follow the womans advice on when she had a dachund as she would be the best person to know what to do as she was in the same predicament. Keep your rabbit in a room where the dog can't get to them, only allow brief intervals to introduce them but never and I mean never allow your dachund loose near the bunny without you having total confidence and faith that your bunny wont get ripped to shreds.


I had a jack russel a few years ago, and she was from a farm her mother and father both ratters, yet when I bought a hamster, even when I got the second one she loved them, at first she tried to bite the cages but after patience and treats and telling her off I came in one day to find the first hamster had escaped and was sitting on my dogs head. This confused me but I later found that the hamster and dog had grown a weird relationship. Lets only hope that your dachund can follow in Pipers footsteps and form a good relationship.
You don't.


Keep them separate when you're not around and supervised when you are. Period.


By all means, read Cesar Milan and Ian Dunbar or ';The Other End of the Leash'; and any number of good dog behavior books you can get your hands on. Read Marley and Me if you want to know 1,001 things your NOT supposed to do when you get a new dog.


Your dog isn't a psycho, it's doing what it was bred to do. Some breeds can have their prey drive redirected. I'd say lots o luck with a Dachshund. Either way, best to never let them be alone together unsupervised, especially not while your bunny is a baby. When bunny is a little older, it'll probably be big enough to kick your mini Dach's ***. Til then, be safe.
I have a dog that is part dachshund and when I first brought my bunny home he wanted to do nothing more than to eat him. I only recommend this if your bunny isn't afraid of the dog. Mine wasn't.





I setup an x-pen with the top in my bedroom and put my rabbit in it without the dog in the room so he could get used to it. Then I brought my dog in on a leash and put him in a sit stay about 2 feet from the pen. At first he whined and tried to get up but I would tell him no and make him sit. When he ignored the rabbit I gave him lots of treats. If he acted insane I ignored him since I knew my rabbit was in no danger. Then one day he just sat there no paying any attention to him at all so I tried a face to face visit dog on the leash and bunny running around the room. He was a little curious about the rabbit but didn't act crazy or try to bite him so I let the leash go slack if he acted up it was taut again.


When I wasn't home bunny was in a completely different room.





Now the rabbit can be right in his face he will lick his ears and generally ignore him.
Thats like hanging a steak in front of a dog.


But...


Keep the Bunny in a different room.


Make sure he is completly locked up in a cage. And lock the dog up in a cage when you leave home. And keep an eye on her.


If she tries to go to the door tell her no.
1) Find a way for dog to outlet bunny-hunting to fake rabbits


2) Teach dog live bunnies are NOT chew toys!





I recommend going to your local book store and looking for Marley %26amp; Me, Cesar Milan books, and/or The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson.
you're basically asking us to help you eradicate thousands of years of purebred instinct...good luck...
It sounds like you're asking for trouble there.
The same way you get your piranha to ignore your goldfish

No comments:

Post a Comment