Saturday, January 23, 2010

I have to get my rabbit spayed, what are some things I need to know?

My main concern is recovery time; I work full time and only get one day off a week. My rabbit is a little more than 7 months old, so it's about time to get her spayed, but how long would I need to be with her after her surgery? What would she need after, in terms of food/care? Anything else about recovery and/or the procedure itself would be MUCH appreciated!I have to get my rabbit spayed, what are some things I need to know?
One of the most important things is to go to a vet that is experienced with rabbits. Be sure to ask how many spays the vet has done and how many has he/she lost (it should be less than 1%). In preparation, a rabbit does not need and in fact should not be fasted and you want to ensure that your vet sends you home with several days of pain relief. One popular pain medication is Metacam.


Once she is home, she should be confined to a small area for about a week. You want to check her incision to be sure that she isn't bothering it. Many vets now use a glue type thing to close the incision rather than stitches or staples.


You will probably be asked to bring her in the morning and you can go to work and you'll pick her up at the end of the day. She'll be fine by herself - just be sure that she is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping within about 24 hours. You may need to tempt her to eat w/favorite herbs.


Here is more info on spays/neuters:


http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/r鈥?/a>


Good luck!I have to get my rabbit spayed, what are some things I need to know?
Hi,





You need to find a vet really familiar with rabbits, There is so many times a regualar vet fixes rabbits and the rabbit ends up sicker and needs more recovery than it should have in the first place





If the vet is good with rabbits they should be able to tell exacually what you need to no.





Thanks


Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment