Wednesday, January 20, 2010

When skinning a rabbit, is it better to use a dorsal cut or belly cut ?

I am wanting to learn how to skin a rabbit for mounting, not eating. I know how to clean and dress one for eating. I'm just not sure if it's best to do a dorsal cut or belly cut in oder to best hide the incision. Thanks for all your help.





DavidWhen skinning a rabbit, is it better to use a dorsal cut or belly cut ?
It's going to be hard to do because their hide will tare easier than a coon hide or squirrel. Probably try and skin it out like you would a coon. Hind legs first and pull the hide up off rear legs, turn the hide inside out as you roll it up the body to the head, is the way I would do it. Maybe someone else has a better way.When skinning a rabbit, is it better to use a dorsal cut or belly cut ?
If you're just curouis, i can't answer the question





But if you are going to have it mounted by someone else, John is 100% correct.





Any taxidermist would want you to bring it in whole.
I always go with a belly cut because I have to get in there anyway to get the guts out. I know some folks will tell you that the back cut is easier to skin and gets less hair on the meat but I just havent't found that to be so in my case. Of course, I have never taken any care with the skining because I have never had a rabbit that I wanted to have mounted. I'd say that you ought ot go to the taxidermist that you will be using and ask him what you should do. He may have a preferred way of doing it.
You may get a better result if you just take the whole animal to the taxidermist. That way he can cut it where he wants to. That's what I do with small stuff like ducks.
Contact a taxidermist first, they will guide you through what is needed to be done.


Cheers.
I would go with the abdominal cut because it is more work with a dorsal incision. With the dorsal cut you have to go through the spinal cord and rib cage before you get to the internal organs.

No comments:

Post a Comment