Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What/how often should I feed my rabbit?

My baby bunny is around 5, maybe 6 months old at the most. I've looked up on numerous sites what to feed her and how often, but they all seem to say different things! I'm a bit confused. Right now, I have the timothy hay, the pellets, and some fresh greens vegetables (not cabbage or lettuce, I know) but I just want to know how often and how much I should feed her at this age. I'm always afraid that if I go somewhere overnight, she's going to starve or something haha. Help???What/how often should I feed my rabbit?
You're doing everything right from what you say here.





If you're worried, take a trip to a local library, check in the pets non-fiction section, and grab one of the many books on rabbits and their care. Books are sometimes more informative than websites, and more consistent.





As long as she has enough pellets, she will not starve. Just make sure none of the veggies go bad in there - stinky!





Welcome to rabbit parenthood, and congratulations on your new family member!What/how often should I feed my rabbit?
HI, a lot of people will not leave rabbit alone overnight. They do enjoy your company, and probably miss you if you are not there. Diet is hotly disputed on rabbit forums, and what it boils down to is the question is sort of the same as asking ';what do I feed my pet human?';...each is an individual, and even if a food is best for them, if they do not like it, wont do a bit of good to feed it, right? Here is an article from one of those forums that has a good description of how to introduce foods, which might be more important than what exact food you use:


Dr S. McCrory http://www.leithpetwerks.com/Bunfun/nonp鈥?/a>





A change that is too sudden, as we often see occur in pet bunnies when an owner discovers that his pet loves bananas and can鈥檛 resist giving 1/3 of the fruit, becomes life threatening, causing a condition we call endotoxemia. This emergency occurs because an intestine full of bacteria aimed at digesting romaine lettuce and parsley, just got blasted with fructose (a sugar) from banana. The romaine/parsley bacteria just got murdered (death by drowning in sugar), and there are no bacteria present yet in this bunny to handle fructose, since this is his first banana encounter. Therefore, the intestine shuts down, toxins from intestinal waste products enter the bloodstream, and the rabbit (within a few hours) is in shock and dying. I am not saying here that bananas kill rabbits; the point is that the banana bacteria can be harvested by introducing a small piece of banana DAILY over several weeks. The same is true for any diet change involving a pellet change or a new veggie or treat._____________


aside from making sure she has a cage full of hay, you should make double-sure that she has access to water if you are to be gone overnight. If you have one crock, make sure you also have a bottle, or whatever. I like to make sure they never run out of hay and water, as those are the easiest to keep fresh, and most important.
Hay should always be available. I personally would feed twice a day, morning and evening, and feed depending on size. The food bag should have instructions for the pellets. Veggies should just be enough for him to finish - nothing should be left over to spoil. I also recommend some alfalfa. Just try out the routine for a little while, see how much is left off and slowly decrease. If you have the money, just go for a check up at a rabbit savvy vet (find one at rabbit.org) and see if his weight is all well and good.
Feed the rabbit some cabbage once a day,or else it will over eat.Feed it veggies not mostly pellets. One meal a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment