Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How do I properly handle a rabbit?

How to pick up, position, etc.How do I properly handle a rabbit?
I raised angoras. I caught them up like baby's. some you may have to pick up by the scruff of there neck but put your arm under for support for their weight. watch those feet they scratch good. use a salt lick to encourage them to come to you. I had one I used a dog harness on. he went every where with me. also he really liked my pink coat for toileting, so i let him keep it. Like cats they are really flexible and resilliant. They can drown easy in rain give them good shelter. Rabbit food is least expensive at a feed store or also called tack store.How do I properly handle a rabbit?
vewy cawefuwy
The rabbit I had I picked up under his front legs and quickly scooped his rear legs with my other hand as I brought him toward me. Pretty much like any other pet except those rear legs and sharp nails can tear you to pieces.
With your clothes on....
Pick it up in the middle of its body. Never to far to the back or you could hurt it.
Depends on how docile the animal is.


Most rabbits are best picked up by the scruff of their neck (between the shoulders, don't be afraid it doesn't hurt them at all).


Further handling depends on if the rabbit is tame, most pet rabbits can be held like small dogs. Some very calm ones will even allow you to turn them on their back. However, if they aren't used to being handled they can be worse than cats (scratching and jumping), so just know your animal.


Below are a couple of sites if you want more info.
Cup their back feet and cradle them. If bunnies get scared they can kick out and scratch you by accident. Just a note, MANY bunnies do not like being held or picked up, but they do like to sit next to you and be petted and get your attention.





If I have to pick up my bunny for some reason, I often use a towel and gently wrap her in it so she's secure in it and doesn't scratch me. This is especially good if you need to brush them or clip their nails.





Have fun!
Rabbits are acrophobic, and should be held as little as possible. Move to their level to work with them.
I suggest pan fry come on don't domesticate food
Hold them close to your chest, using both arms so they can rest in them. They are usually a little restless at first, but once they realize they aren't being harmed, they start to relax. Soon they will learn to trust you, after they get to know you and your smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment